Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Magazine Covers Portraying A False Images and Ideas




After checking out all of the different magazine cover around the checkout counter I can honestly say they is not a single one that isn't targeting a specific audience. Each photograph on the front page has more than likely been edited and airbrushed. From These images are far from reality. But these companies want to make top dollar on their product, so what sells magazines? Juicy captions that hook a prospecting buyer to grab that magazine of the shelf faster than they can read the title of the magazine itself. Also let’s face it sex sells.
With the exception of the recipes and health magazines I could not find a single one that did not present that it was trying to gossip. Women are represented in a very specific way, the "what's hot and what's not" mentality explodes throughout every page. For men this is seen often too. Most of the front covers of magazines tend to be diverse which is another aspect of expanding its followers. Yes I say followers because people really do get hooked. The magazines that stood out to me had the famous people that I personally like because of their music or acting roles. I try to stay away from what I know are just ways to pull reader’s in, so these companies can make money. Personally I’d rather read a magazine that is a little more factual. The companies know what type of model to put on the front cover that will attract the prospecting reader. They have very fit bodies, bright smiles, nice hair, and life is oh so great. The women or man walking up to check out in the store walks up and that catches their eye because they say, “hey I wonder how my life would be different if I were like that guy”? Pure Curiosity. "...the majority of girls and women (96%) do not match up to the models and actresses presented in the media", according to edreferral.com. Wow 96 %!
The headlines of magazines tap into the emotions of personal lives. “How I saved my son.” The advertising is catchy and directly designed to have a person turn the pages of that quick read. These headlines are a bit fearful to be because I’d rather be seeing more factual information that would educate people on real global issues. But instead there are probably more people that know the personal lives of celebrities then real world events happening today.


http://www.edreferral.com/body_image.htm#Dying%20to%20Fit%20In

No comments:

Post a Comment